Sunday, July 10, 2011

Shining Faces and Hugging in the Doorways



It's mid July. Just in case you didn't know...because it's catching me pretty off guard right now. There haven't been very many still moments for me yet this summer. It's been fun and very full, but we haven't really felt our summer "break". I'm eagerly anticipating our first week of "vacation" coming up soon. More than that, we're about to have the first relatives coming to visit.

One of my favorite books to read to the kids in the summer is "The Relatives Came" by Cynthia Rylant. This year, it's especially meaningful. Even though, until today, I haven't even let myself go there.

When you know you really miss someone, it's not like you enjoy sitting around thinking about how much you miss them. At least, I don't. Now, I am the girl who has a difficult time grieving, but still. My sweet boy, though? He's cried. He's begged. To go have a playdate with his big brother cousins. To see their house. To go there. And it's hard to explain why you can't just go 15 hours away at the drop of a hat. And one time since December is a long time. So, all this to say, we're celebrating this week. They're coming...and all piling into our house...

Those relatives! They're coming!


2 comments:

  1. this is one our our MOST favorite books. we own it. we read it all the time. i almost have parts memorized ;) such a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete