Friday, July 16, 2010

Sipping Summertime: Friday Finds




Sometimes I'll be with my mother-in-law, and she'll say, "That just tastes like summer!" Sipping delicious cold drinks is one of my favorite parts of the summer. However, I DO NOT like always having to pay a lot for them. Lately, I've been enjoying some natural sparkling lemonade (that's my fancy day drink I get cheap at Aldi), but at other times, I love using frozen fruit to blend into a delicious milkshake or smoothie. You're sure to get a lot of "YAY!!!!"s when you say, "You guys want to make a smoothie?" Here are some great places to start...









and try



Ok, so here's a hint. You don't always have to follow the recipe to a tee. Some of you are saying, "WHAT?", and others are saying, "AMEN!" A lot of times, I just throw some frozen strawberries, pour some milk, and plop some vanilla ice cream in the blender, and, VOILA! You have yourself a homemade strawberry milkshake that can give anywhere a run for it's money! Here are some easy as pie (or water) recipes:

Cucumber Mint Water
My personal favorite for the most refreshing water ever...

Easy as it sounds. Slice up some cucumber, and lemons (or limes), and pick some fresh mint. Pour water over and serve. Soooo refreshing! I served this at the grand opening a few weeks ago, and everyone kept asking what was in the water that was so good! No secrets, just natural refreshment.


Fruit Infused Water
(Ok, this one kind of ties for 1st place for favorite water.)
My sweet friend Katie introduced me to this one! In her words:

"It is SUPER DUPER easy and delicious. I take fruit-- whatever I have on hand .... and freeze it. Sliced lemons, limes, oranges, along with whole blueberries, raspberries and strawberries are delicious. Just pick a few of those-- you don't need everything. Then you just put it in a pretty container with ice and water and you're all set.
It doesn't really have to sit too long. The freezing process "opens up" the fruit so that as it thaws it releases all kinds of deliciousness. The water doesn't last long after the event. When your party is over, you may want to take out the citrus fruits, as the longer they're in there, the more like orange rind everything starts to taste. You can also use sparkling water for a special touch-- it makes it bubbly and yummy."

So, go eat, DRINK, and be merry! Speaking of "merry" I'm really not into thinking about Christmas at all yet, but I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't have the Christmas in July fever. Am I alone in my love of the summertime!?!?

Oh, and one more thing. The kids really love it when you make their drink feel like a special little celebration. My kids and I always clink our cups and say, "Cheers!" after we've made ourselves a yummy drink. It's only like the cutest thing ever. So, in honor of them, "CHEERS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment