Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tomato Basil Tart...or Cheesy Yummy Heaven

This is our third "Toast to Summer" post.
Come enjoy a delicious quick and easy recipe to take with you today!

I'm the type of person that likes to get as much of something as I can. You know, I take the biggest piece if offered...especially if we're talking dessert. I get really excited about gifts. I love freebies, and I always say yes to offers. I like making the most out of things. You've probably noticed. So, while you might be already itching to take out your pumpkins and sweaters, I'm loving these last few weeks of summer. The last couple Tuesdays, I've loved sharing some of my favorite summertime recipes for our "Toast to Summer", and today's is probably my favorite summer recipe ever. Let me just say...

cheesy. yummy. heaven.


No, that's not it's name...but it could be. This is a Tomato Basil Tart, but don't let the name make you think it'll be all healthy and vegetable-y. (i'm really selling you on this one, aren't i?)


I haven't made this recipe enough this summer, and now that summer is almost gone, I'm having withdraw. The fresh basil and tomatoes can't be beat...especially with all the cheese! Anytime I've ever served this or taken it somewhere people always ask for the recipe, so you know that's a good sign.



tomato basil tart


1 deep dish pie crust

2 cups shredded mozzarella

1 cup loosely packed fresh basil

4 cloves of garlic, chopped (or 2 tsp. of jarred chopped garlic)

1/2 cup mayo

1/4 cup grated Parmesan


Bake pie crust according to package directions. Remove from oven, sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella. Cool.


While the pie crust is cooling, mix together mayo, parmesan, and mozzarella in a separate bowl.


Cut tomatoes into wedges and drain on paper towels. Arrange wedges atop melted cheese in the baked pie shell. Sprinkle garlic and basil over tomatoes. Spoon cheese mixture overtop, spreading evenly.


Bake at 375 for 35-40 min. or until golden brown and bubbly. Serve warm with salad and bread!

2 comments:

  1. I'm making this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though my homegrown tomatoes are long gone, I think this recipe needs to find it's way to my table tonight. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete