Tuesday, December 20, 2011

true story.



When my husband and I first had children, we talked in depth about what traditions we would celebrate at Christmas time. We knew that we wanted to focus more on Jesus coming to earth than a fictitious character giving gifts out, but I held tight to my Christmas traditions.

We loved that my older sister and her family made birthday cake for Jesus, and thought that was a great way to focus on the real meaning of the day. We started the Jesse Tree, and welcomed advent. When we knew that we would have to take a stance of whether or not to "do Santa", I was saddened at the thought of not having the mystery and magic of Old St. Nick coming on Christmas Eve. Though my husband was great with hanging stockings and surprising with little gifts, there was something he couldn't get past. I remember listening, and it hitting me hard.

He said, "But the story of Christ is true. It's not made up or just a myth...He really came, God made flesh...born of a virgin...and the mystery of that is so much greater than any man giving gifts. I want them to marvel at what is true."

In the hustle and bustle of the season, it's so easy to miss that He really came. He really showed up for us, and gave us the greatest gift imaginable.

This past weekend I went to see my favorite Christmas concert. The first time I went to this concert, I thought I was going to see Christmas carols sung by Andrew Peterson. I had no idea what I was about to encounter, and why some of my friends would travel hours every year to attend. Last year, I took my stepmom to the show for her Christmas present, so this year, she treated my little sister and I to see it at the Cove this year, which was amazing.

The talent of this concert is incredible. It's become one of my very favorite holiday traditions, because it's a night devoted to focusing on the true story of Christmas. As Andrew teared up talking about this at the beginning of the show, he reminded me of my husband's words so many years ago...

"You see, the best thing about this Story is - it's true."
~ The Jesus Storybook Bible

Linking up with Tuesdays Unwrapped over at Chatting at the Sky...join us for the last one!

8 comments:

  1. We usually see "This Man Called Jesus". I love Andrew's music but didn't know about his Christmas concert. I'm sure it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best part is it is true...love that.

    Merry Christmas Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I want them to marvel at what is true." yes, Lord, make it so!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving what is true this Christmas. It's been a crazy season with the engagement on my son to my daughter being hospitalized for 4 days. With only a tree with lights, I'm reflecting on what is true. And Hallelujah for the TRUTH! Thanks for this beautiful post. Skipped over from Tuesdays Unwrapped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your husband's perspective - marveling at the Truth!

    Stopping by to say Merry Christmas!
    - Ashley Pichea

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely! just lovely.

    p.s. my parents work at the Cove!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is lovely, and yest there is mystery in truth. I am hosting a photo scavenger hunt this week and one of the prompts is a nativity. I'd love for you to include this picture and post! Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I want them to marvel at what is true"
    Yes! That is exactly what I wish for my kids as well. You've put it perfectly in perspective.

    ReplyDelete