Saturday, June 30, 2012

Myth 3. I Can't Throw a Party Because I Don't Have Any Money.

The other day, my daughter and I were having a fun date and as I was fixing my coffee, I looked up and saw this.


I was shocked that here in plain print, I was being told that the only way I could "throw a perfect dessert party" was to buy these things and spend over one hundred dollars, and not even including the food!  As you can see, I was so irritated, I had to take a picture.  I wanted to hold it up and say, "NO YOU DON'T! Don't buy these things, and have an even BETTER DESSERT PARTY!!"  But, thankfully for my daughter, and my reputation, I refrained.

I say all that to say, even though you can feel overwhelmed by all that's out there that you could have at your parties, there are really only a few things that are necessary to make a party awesome.  And, surprisingly enough, money isn't one of them.

Of course, like anything, you can go spend hundreds, even thousands of dollars to hire a band and a caterer and all that's in between, but let's face it...who has that to throw around?  Not me!

So, instead of spending tons of money to make your party amazing, why not keep it simple?  Here are a few tips to remember when you're trying to save on your budget:

1. Have friends each bring a food item to share.  You can designate what type of food you're hoping they'll bring, but that way, you don't blow a ton of money on providing all the food, or on hiring a caterer.

2. If you want the most bang for your buck when it comes to decor, grab some fresh flowers.  They're the most beautiful thing you can put on your table, and take no time to make (and you don't get paper cuts from crafting all day).  Even if you don't have the budget for a bouquet, simply cut some fresh greenery from your trees and plants in your yard.  It's amazing what a difference bringing plants in can make.

3. You don't have to provide alcohol.  People ask me sometimes, "Do you think it's okay to just have water or tea?"  The answer is absolutely yes.  You can check out my favorite way to spruce up your water here.  And, people go crazy for some fancy water, let me tell ya.  Just let people know to BYOB (bring their own beer or wine) when you invite them.

4. Keep the menu to a minimum.  Rather than feeling like you have to do every course, just stick to the basics. You can get away with making it as simple or extravagant as you want.  To keep it less expensive, just limit what you have.  All you need is something to munch on, and something to drink.  You don't need to have appetizers, salads, entrees, dessert, and coffee.  You could just have drinks and apps.  Or just dessert. Remember, this is your party.  Make it what works best for your budget.

There are lots of things you can spend money on to make your event one to remember, but I'm not convinced that money is what makes that happen.  I'm pretty sure that it would be well remembered simply by having it.  You don't have to break the bank to have your friends over and have a good time.  So, why would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment