Thursday, February 10, 2011

To Send or Not to Send...That is the Question


So many times, people will say, "Do I really need to send out invitations for this, or can I just do an evite?"

Usually the rule of thumb is that you send out invitations if it's a more special occasion...a bridal shower, rehearsal dinner, 50th anniversary, fancy dinner party, 16th birthday, etc. There's no rule that says you have to do actual invitations for every birthday party your child ever has. I love using evites. Just ask my friends...I send them out for anything. An afternoon playdate, a coffee date, a committee meeting, our moving day (I know I'm ridiculous). But, what I have found is that sending out invitations, sets the stage for what's to come. So, to give a little sneak peek of the party to come, I love to give a glimpse as to what we will be doing at our event.

But, yes, it is absolutely fine to just call your friends, or to send an evite! Sometimes, that's an easy step to give on...to simplify the planning process. I think why I love sending them out for birthday parties, is because it feels like you get to start celebrating early. Going to pick out the invitations is just another part of the fun in planning for the party. And, sometimes, it will even give you just the inspiration you need to take the next step. We'll talk about that on Monday.

As for me, I have my maid of honor duties calling. I have quite a fun shower to host this weekend. And, actually designing the invitations for that, was what allowed me to have a vision for the entire shower. Whether you send something snail mail or not, you can still make telling people about the party a part of the celebration, just as much as any other step.

What's your rule of thumb when it comes to invitations?

2 comments:

  1. I personally like REAL invitations for parties (play dates, committee meetings, etc aren't included in "parties."). They make the event seem more important, IMO. Also, I've found that if people get an evite they tend to get lost in email boxes or forgotten about or never opened. If people get a paper invite though, they'll generally put it somewhere (like on the fridge) where they can see it and won't forget about the event. Also, I really, really, really like pretty invites. ;)

    ReplyDelete