Monday, January 24, 2011

...and You will Find Rest...


This thing...called the computer...we have a love-hate relationship. It allows me to be able to do so much, and at the same time, if I'm not careful, can steal away even more. Yesterday, I truly took a sabbath and it was glorious.

Most days, especially weekend days, I come in about a thousand times to check email, hop from one favorite blog to the next, and zip all around the internet. Yesterday, after we got back from church, I walked by the office, and I felt it. I felt the tug to come into the office. To check things off my ever mounting to-do list. To be productive with my afternoon.

Simultaneously, I felt the Lord calling to me. To come and sit. To be still, and know how much He loves me. To take the afternoon off. Instead of working, which is what inevitably happens once I walk through the office door, to read my book, to have some tea, to snuggle with my children, maybe even to fall asleep in the nook of my comfy couch with my blanket all around me... to rest.

Many times I can feel His call, and choose to ignore it. I can be so focused on the tasks at hand, that working from home can be quite an obstacle to overcome. But, yesterday, I found peace for my soul, and much needed rest for my mind. It was probably the first true sabbath I've had for a while. It's no wonder why the Lord made it one of the top ten. Seems like such a simple rule to follow, and yet, one of my most toilsome struggles. It was a beautiful afternoon, and doing exactly what I should have been doing.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and
I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am gentle and humble in heart, and
you will find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
matthew 11:28-30

No comments:

Post a Comment