Sunday, January 16, 2011

Celebrating on a Sunday


Even though I'm not a huge fan of New Years resolutions, I do tend to think about things I'd like to do more in the coming year. They are usually not very big things, just little things that I've wanted to do, but haven't necessarily put into practice as much as I'd like. Usually, they include things like exercising more, eating healthier, getting up earlier, you know things that are really hard to do, but still good for you. But these are definitely NOT New Years resolutions...lol. :)

One of the things my family had talked about doing more was getting together. My parents live in the same town as we do, however, we're all so busy many times we don't stop to make sure we're spending consistent time together. So, we decided we would start trying to have Sunday dinners (which in our family is actually just a big late lunch after church) together a couple times a month. So, last night, even though it was totally last minute, I called and asked if they would want to come over for Sunday dinner. They could make it...Great! But then, I realized, wait a minute, I don't have a meal planned, I'm teaching Sunday School in the morning then going to service, which means, we'll all get to my house about the same time! However, when I was at the store a few days ago, I happened to pick up a chuck roast...and I knew just what to do with it!

This is my all time favorite recipe for pot roast. I found it several years ago, and everytime I make it people ask for the recipe. It's so easy, and it makes it's own gravy. Perfect!

I came home, whipped up some mashed potatoes while everyone was arriving, and stuck some frozen veggies in the oven on broil for a few minutes. Quick, easy, and homemade Sunday dinner...done! The house was a mess, and we didn't even have the table set, but there was still a celebration indeed.

Here's my abridged version of the recipe:

Awesome Slow Cooker Pot Roast

2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 packet of onion soup mix
1 can of water
salt & pepper to taste
2-3 lb. boneless chuck roast (i never use a 5 lb. like the traditional recipe suggests)

Mix the first three ingredients together in your crock pot. Place chuck roast in crock pot, and turn to coat with soup mixture. Cook on low for 8-10 hrs. or high for 5-6 hrs.

Do you have a favorite easy Sunday recipe? I'd love to know some of your celebrating secrets!

No comments:

Post a Comment