Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

This year feels as if it is coming in celebrating already. While I wait for news of good friends having their new baby, and I celebrate the birthday of a 91 year old Grand Pop, our hearts are already running over with joy. As I sit and think of all the Lord has done this year, I'm so grateful to have a day to begin again, anew and refreshed.

New Years day has always been a pretty simple day at our home. Our only "plan" for the day includes our traditional New Years day meal. This is our line up...

Black Eyed Peas
the tradition is that you're supposed to
eat one for every day of the new year to bring good luck...
we're not superstitious, but it's still fun to have them!
(I seriously think this is the one day of the year that I eat them)

Baked Ham

Homemade Mac & Cheese
(my kids all time favorite - and you can't have ham
without mac and cheese in my household)

Sweetened Stewed Tomatoes
because they go great with black eyed peas

Baked Pineapple
because you can't have ham and mac and cheese
without baked pineapple at my house

(a lot of times we add collard greens to this line up, but i didn't get any this year)


What do you do on New Years? I know there are so many different traditions across the world, that I would love to hear what your family does! Whatever you do, wherever you are, may you know how much you are loved, and how valuable you are in this brand new year of life. Grace and peace to you, my friends.

2 comments:

  1. we go shopping. everything in dillards is 50% off the already marked down price making some things 75% off. i got two pairs of shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband's mom always has us over for their country dinner. Ready?
    Pork Loin
    Hog Jowls (yes, hog jowls)
    Collards
    Blackeyed Peas
    Dirty Rice (with sausage and seasonings)
    Corn Bread

    Happy New Year to you, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete