Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 10: The Greatest Show on Earth


Have you ever designed a party around a pack of stickers?

Ok, maybe it's just me, but I love these. I found them for about .14 cents each this summer, and decided that someway, somehow, I was going to design a vintage circus party.

When we were first pregnant with my oldest (about 8 years ago), we decided that we would be surprised, and not find out if we were having a girl or a boy. I didn't want to just do the same old green or yellow, safe gender neutral colors. I wanted to use reds and browns and amber, and sage. I wanted to use old antique toys and books to decorate. I couldn't stand all the choices at all the big box stores, and so for a while, it felt like it would never come together. But, then, we found this beautiful little blanket in the most unsuspecting spot.

And it was perfect. It was all I needed to design the sweetest little nursery for the little one growing in my belly. And she was a beautiful surprise when she came out. From the beginning I could tell she was a star, so the vintage circus theme seemed just perfect for her.

Then, when we found out our second was going to be a boy, I saw no need to deter from using the same nursery things. So my dear friend surprised me with this fun lamp she found.


A show stopper indeed. I remember pulling it out of the diaper box it had been wrapped in, and exclaiming...

"This is so much better than diapers!!!"

So, there you have it. My love for vintage circus must run deep. I'm not big on the cutsie animal themes, or the character clothes, but give me a bear drinking tea any day.

Since those days, my babies have grown, and almost outgrown any care for things circus related. But, when I told my son we'd have fresh popcorn, tug o war, and relay races, he got pretty excited.

So, off we go to have another adventure this week on our 31 day journey to an artful event. Won't you come along?

No comments:

Post a Comment