Sunday, November 21, 2010

StC: The Clean Sweep


I don't know about you, but this is totally what I look like when I clean my house...NOT!!! When you are short on time, and people are on their way over, you just can't do a deep clean. However, you can take about 15 min. to spruce up your house, without feeling like your guests are walking into a pig sty. Here are four simple steps to what we call at my house...
"The Clean Sweep".

1. Enlist Troops.

My kids are awesome at our clean sweep. They get really into it, and help put away quite a few things. When they know that they are your "helpers" and maybe that they'll even get a "treat" at the end, they are absolutely on board with the idea!

2. Set a Timer.

When you know that you only have a certain amount of time to complete a task, there's something about it that presents a fun challenge. It also limits you to spending hours on something that you know you don't have. For me, it allows me to get the task done, without feeling overwhelmed by it. It also helps the kids feel like it's more of a game. Depending on the chores, we usually make it a tangible goal of 5 or 10 min. Sometimes, we'll add 5 min. and make it feel part of the game. I'll announce, "We've just been given an additional 5 minutes! Hurry, there's not much time left!!"

3. Focus on the Eyesores.

Clearing tables, making beds, and putting away toys are all basic things that don't take a ton of time, but really add to the cleanliness factor. By having less clutter, and more things put away, there is a more spacious feel to your home. People might not see the dust bunnies hiding under the bed, but they'll notice how nice the bed looks made up. Same in the kitchen...it won't matter if the dishes in the dishwasher are dirty, if the table is cleared off. Stack the dirty dishes that won't fit in the dishwasher in the sink, and rinse them. That way at least the table is wiped down and looks presentable.

4. Clear the Clutter

Go through your house with a large basket. Put everything that needs to be put away in the basket, and then put the basket somewhere out of sight. That way, you can go through later, and put it all where it goes, but for now, you've straightened the area where your guests will be.

What are your cleaning secrets? I can always use the help!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the tips. Reminders always help when it seems overwhelming. My goal is to have my house clean so I won't have to scramble around, but this is real life and that's not me. ;) I don't have any secrets to share, but let me say I've gotten so much inspiration from you this month. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete