Sunday, November 28, 2010

StC: Leaves for Me!



There are just some things that are too good to resist. Like taking a pinch from the cookie dough before it's made into cookies. Or unwrapping a gift as soon as you get it. I have to say, jumping into a huge pile of leaves is one of those things for my kids and I.

The other day we were taking a walk, and my son saw a huge pile of leaves by the side of the road. It was all I could do to keep him from jumping right in, but I knew whoever had spent the time gathering the leaves would probably not appreciate them being scattered everywhere. However, I knew once we got home, we could make our own huge pile and enjoy pouncing right in.

I know it's not a huge thing to say yes to, but saying yes to things like this, is like gold to your little ones. I've found that the more little things I can say yes to, the more they respect me on the things I say no to. Sometimes, the "Don't do that!" or "No!" comes out a little too easily, and I have to remind myself to let go of the bothersome pet peeve to not get leaves scattered throughout my house. Or to not mind if I have to do a little extra laundry, or give the kids an extra bath. In the grand scheme of things, it's really not a big deal. I'd much rather have my kids know what it feels like to jump into a huge pile of leaves, than for them to always want to, and never have the privilege.

As I was with my little boy the other day, he started throwing leaves up over his head, and all around him. I heard him chanting something as he did it, but I couldn't really make it out. As I leaned in, I heard him saying, "Celebration! It's a celebration!"

Let's take a lesson from our little ones and join in the celebration.

1 comment:

  1. You're a girl after my own heart. We'll be piling up the leaves tomorrow and I can't wait to jump in them!

    ReplyDelete